In most cases, cats will quickly adapt to a new litter box. However, if your cat is having a hard time adjusting to the Litter-Robot, we have included some tips and tricks that have worked for our customers in the past.
Tips to Get Your Cat to Use the Litter-Robot
1. When starting out with the Litter-Robot leave the Base Unit turned OFF. It is best to wait until you see evidence of consistent use before turning the Base Unit ON to use the automatic cycling. If a clean cycle is required during the acclimation period, just run the cycle manually by turning the unit ON and then OFF again after the cycle has completed. Once you feel your cat is comfortable using the Litter-Robot you can then resume the automatic mode (leaving the unit ON).
2. Keep the old litter box in the same room or next to the Litter-Robot and let it fill up. This will give your cat a choice between the clean Litter-Robot and a not-so-clean litter box.
3. Put some soiled litter into the Litter-Robot for a familiar scent.
4. Place treats on the ledge or around the Litter-Robot so that cat associates rewards with the unit.
5. One customer placed treats in a dish inside the unit as to get kitty to go inside and see that it safe and has clean litter.
6. Sit down with kitty next to the unit. Comfort them and show them that the Litter-Robot is not to be feared.
7. Another customer placed the globe on the floor and secured it so it would not rotate. Having the Globe at eye level must have helped kitty to feel more comfortable entering the Globe.
8. Since cats are curious and love to go into boxes, you might also try putting the original packaging box over the Litter-Robot with a hole cut out for the entry and the drawer.